Copyright © my Wide White Wall
Design by Dzignine
Friday, November 05, 2010

I WISH I HAD ONE OF AMORSOLO'S

I have invariably marveled at artworks of Filipino pride and recognized as the first National Artist for Painting Fernando Amorsolo. For everytime I see one of his paintings, even in pictures, it's as if I know where that place is and it feels like I have been there. The odd familiarity of the landscapes and the scenes in his paintings always makes me feel "home." So, imagine me swelling with pride when I incidentally learned that he spent his childhood years in Daet, Camarines Norte. First I thought that we probably have the same gene pool of Bicolano, but I eventually found out that he just spent the first 13 years of his life in Bicol and was actually born in Manila. At any rate, it's just the same: at some point in our lives, we had breathed the same air. And that makes me a little prouder of where I'm from.

Here are some of his works (which actually number 10,000+ by the way):

Planting Rice, oil on canvas,1951, 24x34

Sunday Morning Going to Town, oil on canvas, 1958

Fruit Pickers Under the Mango Tree, oil on canvas, 1937, 25 1/4 x 37 1/2

Planting Rice with Mayon Volcano, oil on canvas, 1949, 70x100.5

0 comments:

CHECK OUT MY OTHER BLOG